FIPS 199 Front Matter
FIPS PUB 199
FEDERAL INFORMATION PROCESSING STANDARDS PUBLICATION
Standards for Security Categorization of Federal Information and Information Systems
- Computer Security Division
- Information Technology Laboratory
- National Institute of Standards and Technology
- Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8900
- U.S. DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE
- Donald L. Evans, Secretary
- TECHNOLOGY ADMINISTRATION
- Phillip J. Bond, Under Secretary for Technology
- NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF STANDARDS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Arden L. Bement, Jr., Director
The Federal Information Processing Standards Publication Series of the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) is the official series of publications relating to standards and guidelines adopted and promulgated under the provisions of Section 5131 of the Information Technology Management Reform Act of 1996 (Public Law 104-106) and the Federal Information Security Management Act of 2002 (Public Law 107-347). These mandates have given the Secretary of Commerce and NIST important responsibilities for improving the utilization and management of computer and related telecommunications systems in the federal government. The NIST, through its Information Technology Laboratory, provides leadership, technical guidance, and coordination of government efforts in the development of standards and guidelines in these areas.
Comments concerning Federal Information Processing Standards Publications are welcomed and should be addressed to the Director, Information Technology Laboratory, National Institute of Standards and Technology, 100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8900, Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8900.
- -- SUSAN ZEVIN, ACTING DIRECTOR
- INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY LABORATORY
Federal Information Processing Standards Publications (FIPS PUBS) are issued by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) after approval by the Secretary of Commerce pursuant to Section 5131 of the Information Technology Management Reform Act of 1996 (Public Law 104-106) and the Federal Information Security Management Act of 2002 (Public Law 107-347).